After 40 plus years of being spoiled with expertly prepared arroz con gandules originally by Mother Baya, and now Mrs. Baya, I offer this public service announcement. Unless you take the time to prepare a proper Sofrito, your rice will ultimately suck, no matter your attention to detail. I offer the following as a point of reference to making a palatable sofrito:
1 large bunch of recao (AKA culantro),
4 medium sized onions (cut in quarters),
4 green peppers,
1 large red bell pepper (both unseeded),
20 cloves of garlic (peeled of course),
1 large bunch of cilantro
15 ajices dulces (These maybe difficult to find. While some consider this an optional ingredient I do not.)
Wash thoroughly before puree/mixing in a food processor.
To store sofrito long-term, add salt, a tablespoon of vegetable oil and freeze.
The ready-made sofrito you buy at the supermarket dissipates as soon as it is added to the water needed to cook the rice. Heat will further break it down rendering it inert.
In the end of the day, it's all about the sofrito.
I could not agree with you more. Although I appreciate the compliments on my culinary skills, I must defer to those who have come before me and taught me the fine art of making this dish which I still strive to perfect. With that said, Sofrito is the foundation for almost all Puerto Rican dishes. Some people prefer to use store bought but as Mama Baya and my Pop taught me, if it ain't made with homemade Sofrito, it is not worth eating. I owe so much to Mama Baya who taught her son well as he is the creator of this magical, mystical concoction we call Sofrito. He has perfected this in a way that even I cannot match it and the other women we share it with have only the highest compliments for his Sofrito. Heed his advice, it will serve you and your palette well. It's all about the Sofrito......
ReplyDeleteHaving tasted baya's sofrito, and Mrs.Baya's cooking, I am greatful full this recipe.....but will have to understand the difference between culanto, and cilantro, and where to find some other ingredients.
ReplyDeleteYes, I have tried the sofrito from a market, and it is NOTHING like the real thing.
We had arroz con gandules and pinchos with Pharaoh's garnish last night, it was all good.
ReplyDeleteOk, I am going to try this, Baya. I think I know where I can get the ajices dulces. ;^)
ReplyDeleteVery cool, feel free to call me for a telephone consult if you have any questions, or better yet, next time we go to Philly we'll have a sofrito making get-together.
ReplyDelete