Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Walkin' Horse Strops, a new player on the scene.


While looking into English Bridle strops, I decided to give this new strop manufacturer a try.

The strop area is 16 inches by 3 inches wide. I prefer short strops because my set-up keeps the strop and blade in front of me. Longer and more traditional lengths are available of course. This English Bridle has no imperfections or blemishes. This strop is a hefty 4 mm thick and feels substantial when stropping. If you like thick strops, as I do, this is the strop for you. No Fromm Strop Dressing was needed, the strop felt ready for stropping. The resulting draw is heavier than Black Tanned Vegetable and much heavier than Horsehide.

The cloth portion of this strop is webbed cotton, a new feature. While not as aggressive as polypropylene (webbed synthetic), I find that cotton leaves a cleaner edge and it's draw, while not a heavy as polypropylene, is a great compliment to English Bridle.

This strop comes with D Rings on the bottom, mounting hardware on top and Chicago screws to hold everything in place. Changing components is extremely easy and I don't anticipate durability to be an issue.

As far as efficiency this strop does a great job, the resulting edge is at par with strops of twice the cost. I did 30 laps on the cotton and 60 on English Bridle with excellent results.

This is a high quality strop at an extremely reasonable price. Information on leather/cloth options can be obtained at walkinstrops.blogspot.com

Highly recommended.

1 comment:

  1. An update. I have used this strop four times now and enjoy it more with each stropping. The draw is increasing with each use and the resulting edges have been excellent.

    ReplyDelete