Thursday, July 22, 2010

It's all about the sponge, not the sponge you are thinking about.

No, this is not a reference to the Seinfeld episode, but something I saw in a video put together by an American gentlemen living in Modena, Italy to commemorate his 30 years of straight shaving. I have been a straight razor user for close to 25 years myself and while the technique and necessary equipment has remained largely unchanged for over two centuries, incorporating Dov's (Chimensch is his B&B user name) sponge idea has been a pleasant addition to my routine.

I've have, in the past, ruined razors by inadvertently knocking them against the sink, the water spout or water handle. Using the sponge to wipe off the blade instead of putting it under the tap reduces this possibility greatly, in addition to reducing your water charges. It's funny how the simplest concepts are sometimes the most useful. Try this out, it's very helpful. Aside from the mighty sponge, his stropping, lathering and shaving technique are on-point.



2 comments:

  1. Great video Nelson. I wish I can get it this easy.... I know... practice.
    ttys,
    john

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice hearing from you John. Like anything else, straight shaving is a process, once you figure out the process that suits you, it becomes easy and much more enjoyable. If I could shave twice a day, I would.

    ReplyDelete