Monday, July 26, 2010

Bill Evans is the truth.

7 comments:

  1. I admit,I was late to embrace Bill Evans......because I was listening to the wrong stuff....which I thought was cold and unfeeling.
    Exactly what this clip is not.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many forget that Kind Of Blue, while credited to Miles was mostly composed by Evans. Dealing with Miles basically drove him to drugs (not totally surprised there.) Evans was not a natural but made up for it with his intelligence. His cerebral approached turned off a lot of listeners but I've always dug him.

    Next to Bud Powell, Evans is one of my favorite jazz pianist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bud Powell?

    Cool.

    Yes, as we have talked, Evans had such a gentle, sweet(not saccharine) way....and while his drug years(and he sure wasn't alone in that) sounded different...the touch remained.
    Cerebral?
    Yeah.....and dead at 51.
    RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bud Powell? Definitely, a lot of roll with just the right amount of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I dig Bud Powell as well.
    But besides Evans, Monk, Powell. ...there is Phineas Newborn, Jamie Byard, and others.....all great in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out Brad Mehldau and Andrea Pozza. If you dig Bill Evans they have something to say as well.

    ReplyDelete