Sunday, June 13, 2010

Salsa, as we knew it, is dead.

Having just returned from Puerto Rico, I had the opportunity to listen to somewhat real Salsa radio (it hasn't existed here in New York City for some time) and have confirmed that this genre is on its last breath.

I would say 70% of their play list is music recorded in the Salsa hay days. or years of 1970 through 1982, 20% 1982 through 2000 (this being the year I think the last nail in the coffin was nailed) and 10% post year 2000.

The latter of these three periods contains music exclusively and purposely void of the traditional Puerto Rican swing and swagger, leaning more toward a South Florida/Cuban ingredient. The fine style and precision recordings from Puerto Rico epitomized by Willie Rosario and Frankie Ruiz have been replaced by a majority of offerings containing manufactured vibrato and grit. Lost in this "let's copy the crooner of the day" mentality is the dancer. It was supposed to be all about them in the first place.

Whether or not Salsa enjoys a resurgence is a matter of debate (I doubt it will.) The alienation of its core demographic, namely the now middle-aged and pre-retirement aged consumer who waited anxiously for the next Gran Combo, Sonora Poncena or Bobby Valentin album (yes LPs, remember those?) at Sandy's Record Shop or Bate's back in the day need something a lot more tangible than one palatable song in eight on a CD.

That sound you hear in the background is Salsa flat-lining. While some insist on giving CRP to a corpse, I've chosen to move on. My vintage Salsa collection suits me just fine.


2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately Salsa, as with all music is no longer considered a form of expression but a business with a bottom line. Sell records, make money or your out. No longer do we hear good arrangers, good producers, or dare I say good songwriters. Today record companies crank out regurgitated tributes to an era long ago where the original arrangement or singer is not granted the respect and honor they deserve. I came to appreciate Salsa music late in life but I am thankful I had the education that I did. I hope that sometime during my lifetime there will be a renaissance of what this music was truly about. But sadly, that day may never come so for now, give me that old time Salsa. Unfortunately, that other stuff will continue to slowly smother the life out of a genre that was exciting and inspiring to many a generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They also continue to try and cater to a generation of listeners, via collaborations with whatever reggeaton artist (I use this term loosely), that doesn't buy this music other than during the first week of June.

    ReplyDelete