Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Friends

With the advent of Facebook and the like, I have had to re-think what the term "Friend" really means. Call me old-fashioned (it's O.K. I'd consider it a complement) but a friend, as I understand it, is someone in the hierarchy of importance and significance, more important than an acquaintance but not as important as family (both of these being relative terms of course.)

I find it interesting that I get friend requests via Facebook from people that I either don't know, people have seen around but have never actually spoken two words to, and in some cases, people who weren't very nice to me in the past. What makes them think we can be friends, albeit in a virtual sense, without actually going through the process of becoming friends.

I don't have many of them (I thank God I'm blessed with people I consider more Brothers and Sisters) but the term's dilution is a sad testimony to the trivialization of such an important relationship.

3 comments:

  1. I had a conversation with someone the other day who said it was impossible to make friends on the internet. I asked him what "friend" meant to him. Basically, using his example, it would be a man I trust enough to let my daughter sleep overnight in his house. I thought that was an extreme definition for friend. And, I have been thinking about the word friend ever since as well. To me, a friend is someone who knows me (a level of awareness of my personality is required) and likes me and would be glad to come over some evening and help me paint a room, or give my car a jump start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig your assessment, however, the trusting enough for a daughter sleep-over is beyond my comprehension. Extreme is an understatement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I have benefited from an introduction to people on the internet, that became friends after meeting in person.....it was simply an introduction.

    Definition of friend?
    Perhaps I am even more old fashioned.....because I choose my friends., and they can become like family.

    A true friend accepts you, even when they disagree with you.

    A true friend will have your back, and will not only help you paint, but would repaint if the color was wrong.

    Having just gone through a medical procedure where my vision was at risk, I was really taken by "friends" on Facebook and their response.

    Contrary to my expectations, people I haven't seen in years, or people.who live far away, and even people who I only knew casually....consistently expressed concern, while people closer mostly did not even acknowledge it.

    A friend would bring the shovel and a bag of lime if needed.

    A friend makes the effort....while "family" often breaks your heart.

    It is all in the behavior...is there respect, honesty, and kindness?
    Is there an effort to maintain the friendship?

    ReplyDelete