Friday, March 19, 2010

Recordar es vivir.



7 comments:

  1. Just a typical Salsa gig at the Copacabana in N.Y.C. with Tito Nieves in 2003.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.....looks great....and a good crowd......the good old days I fear, (for great live music).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saturday nights at the Copa (the original, the old Red Parrot or 34th Street)was always a cool hang and a great place to play at. Like N.Y. baseball and basketball fans, the Copa crowd was very knowledgeable and appreciative of well executed Salsa. The vibe at the original spot was amazing. I remember playing there for the first time with Larry Harlow and thinking how cool it was playing on the same stage Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. did. My favorite pre-Copa Red Parrot memory has nothing to do with music. Despite having played great gigs there with Harlow and others, my fondest memory was watching my "O.G." father-in-law Willie, walk into the Red Parrot wearing this sharkskin, GoodFellas suit and wingtip shoes that shined like mirrors with his daughter, my girlfriend (now wife.) Priceless. I miss that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. June 1986 - The Red Parrot aka Emerald City aka lots of other names which escape me....
    I remember my Dad taking me to the Red Parrot that day. My Dad was handsome, dressed sharp and had the swagger to match. He had to bribe the bouncer to let me in. I had just graduated HS earlier that day. I remember having so much fun dancing to live Salsa music with my Dad. Every chick in the place wanted to dance with him. I watched him dance with a 25 yr old and he was absolutely incredible. It was like magic...More importantly was watching this great musician on stage, (my boyfriend - now husband)who is as handsome now as he was in 1986. Boy, I sure do miss my Pop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Willie had a very Zen approach to dancing, very minimalist yet substantial. If he felt someone was trying to show him up though he'd switch it into over-drive and send his female counterpart spinning and twisting while he still looked cool as a fan. One of the "Last of the Mo'Ricans" for sure.

    ReplyDelete