Friday, March 5, 2010

Beer glasses.

I never fully understood the whole beer glass thing until recently. I took some Belgian beer to friend's house and we drank them from regular soda glasses. The beer tasted good but there was something missing in nuance and flavor. I started to pay closer attention to how certain beers taste in particular glasses. Before this, I'd drink most Belgians from a Chimay glass, not only are they really cool looking but they are usually right in front of the cabinet when I open it ( while Chimay glasses are cool, the beer has been out of the rotation for quite a while but that's another story.)

While the beer taste great in this glass, I started to drink Belgians in their dedicated glasses and noticed a difference (very slight sometimes) in their profile and flavor.

Triple Karmeliet is a great beer even if you drink it from a Dixie cup but from its dedicated glass you will taste and enjoy its true potential.

3 comments:

  1. The beer drinker, whether an expert or a novice, uses 3/5 senses...sight, smell, and taste.
    The correct glass is designed to enhance the experience....

    Basically, their are 4 different styles....the chalice, tulip, flute,and pilsner
    A chalice is designed to allow the head to expand which develops a stronger, more aromatic bouquet.

    The tulip is designed to allow the head to be maintained and slowly develop the aroma, or more slowly release the aroma.

    Flutes are generally used for very strong aromas, like a gueze or kriek. The small surface allows the Co2 to slowly release.

    A pilsner glass is designed to show the bubbly nature....

    In my opinion, if you are not sure, you can't go wrong with a tulip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muy cool, so let it be written, so let it be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to add that "wetting" the glass is a good practice...just rinse your clean glass with water before pouring, as it will help control the foam produced during the pour....which is actually important. ....proper pouring is done with a tilted glass, but finished with a straight pour.
    In Belgium, I understand that a beer is never served in the wrong glass.
    With the exception of the wild Kwak glasses..(better seen then described), most breweries make there own glasses....yes, marketing must be concerned, but the shape is not to be disregarded.
    If one does not have a tulip shaped glass, a wine glass may suffice.

    ReplyDelete