Monday, October 18, 2010

Ron Metusalem Gran Reserva




Matusalem Gran Reserva Rum is produced by one of oldest rum producers in the world and is aged for 15 years. Matusalem was first introduced in 1792 in Cuba, but Castro forced the family who produced it into exile and production stopped for many years until the brand was relaunched in the Dominican Republic in 2001. Matusalem comes from a Spanish proverb “Esto es mas viejo que Matusalem” or "This is older than Methusalah" the ageless 969 year-old from the Old Testament.

Having had the opportunity to taste the original Cuban version of "Mat 15" I will say that the re-issue is comparable in taste and body while excellent in its own right. The only difference I can taste is the Dominican version has a marked almond-like bitterness not present in the original recipe. This does not take away for its enjoyment. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

  1. Is it expensive? Sounds like it could be dangerous... if you know what I mean....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is actually priced reasonably for a top-shelf rum. Not dangerous at all in the hands of a professional, amateurs need not apply.

    ReplyDelete