Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bistec Encebollao

There are a great many things I miss when Mrs. Baya is away, her obviously, and a not so distant second, her cooking, girl can cook.

I've been craving Bistec Encebollao, so I offer a simple recipe in anticipation of her return.

The following ingredients are for portions for two:

* 2 pounds beef sirloin steak, sliced thinly across the grain
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons minced garlic
* 1 pinch dried oregano
* 1 (.18 ounce) packet sazon seasoning and a table spoon of Adobo
* 2 large white onions, sliced into rings
* 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
* 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. In a gallon sized ziplock, combine the steak, vegetable oil, garlic, oregano, sazon seasoning, Adobo, onions, vinegar, and salt. Seal and shake to mix. Refrigerate for a few hours, or better yet over night.

2. When you are ready to cook, dump the entire contents of the bag into a large frying pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover the pan and let it cook until the beef is fork tender, about 45 minutes. If you like your onions on the potent, raw side, let the steak cook for 25 minutes and add the onions for the last 20 minutes.

Served with white rice, tontones and mojito on the side, you are good to go.

4 comments:

  1. i miss you too. Looking forward to preparing this for you when I get back......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...i get the leftovers...

    btw the blade is working ... I have not stropped it....how often do you have to strop it? Every time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    Strop it every time, 30 laps on linen, 60 laps on leather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John-No leftovers. You need to be here when dinner is served. :)

    ReplyDelete