Thursday, September 9, 2010

Jack Purcells



John Edward "Jack" Purcell was a Canadian badminton (it's like tennis with that weird cone looking thing) world champion in the early 1930's. Purcell designed a canvas and rubber badminton sneaker for the B.F. Goodrich Company of Canada in 1935. He designed the shoe to provide more protection and support on the court. Converse purchased the trademark to Jack Purcell sneakers, which are still available today, in the 1970's. The shoe, which look like Chuck Taylor All-Stars with extra rubber in the front, can be distinguished by the "smile" across the toe.

Mother Baya bought me my first pair of Jacks when I was in grade school, she figured the extra rubber on the front would help the sneakers last at least another day. I mutilated Keds and Chucks within weeks. She was right, Jacks did last a bit longer so she didn't care to pay a little more, $6.89, for them.

I wore Jacks through high school and college. I was happy to see I was not alone, fellow trumpeter, colleague and friend, John Walsh wore Jack's as well. John liked them so much he considered them proper gigging attire (I'll let John tell that story if he wishes.)

While shopping with Ms. Baya last night, we walked into Converse and there they were, two pair of Jack's, olive and black, in my size, I couldn't resist. Needless to say, I'm wearing them right now feeling nostalgic and still fashionable.

2 comments:

  1. Don't remember the exact details, but I'm sure it involved a very unfair reprimend from a needlessly cranky bandleader who couldn't see the error of his ways and the wisdom of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was your first professional trumpet job in NYC and it involved El Caborojeňo in the Bronx, a cranky/anal club owner and a last minute scavenger hunt for a black suit and shoes that lead us into dark alleys and scary apartment buildings of people we didn't know. As least it wasn't personal, remember, the same cranky/anal club owner objected to my taking off my jacket. Despite the drama, I remember we had fun so it's all good.

    ReplyDelete