Friday, September 17, 2010

The Art of War


Whether or not Sun Tzu actually existed is a subject for debate but the book accredited to him, The Art of War, should be required reading. Unfortunately, we live in a society where most relationships, inter-personal or otherwise, become adversarial in posture at some point (a sad reality) and this book may prove useful.

Sun Tzu was a Chinese military general, strategist and philosopher during the a time of constant war among seven nations Zhao, Qi, Qin, Chu, Han, Wei and Yan, all looking to control Eastern China. Sun Tzu, through his influential book on military strategy, had a significant impact on Chinese and Asian history, and indirectly on its culture as well. During the 19th and 20th centuries, The Art of War, originally titled, The Philosophy of War, grew in popularity and saw practical use in Western society.

I've read this book twice in my lifetime, first in college and most recently about five years ago and always surprise myself when I can draw parallels between its text and life situations I have found myself in. Not the easiest read but highly recommended.

2 comments:

  1. I heard this being used for/in business too. I have not read this....j

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is but it's also applicable to everyday conflicts or situations as well.

    ReplyDelete