This blog is dedicated, but not limited, to the discussion of the finer things in life, Cuban cigars, Belgian beer, straight razors, music, food, family and friends (in addition to the ramblings of an old-school cat trapped in a modern world.) Bienvenido, and enjoy.
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Alfie's Theme Differently.
Didn't really dig this album as a young man but it has grown on me as I've gotten older. It may be a few more samplings away from being added to my short list of Sonny Rollins studio recordings I like. The Oliver Nelson arrangements are killer and the supporting cast is pretty amazing too. As you know, IMO, there's nothing better than Sonny live.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When you make your posts, I wish I was sufficiently versant with music to say something intelligent. Something like, "Did you know that the niece of Sonny Rollins was the lead singer for Jefferson Airplane?" Alas! Once a Missouri country boy, always one.
ReplyDeleteDid you know that my hometown of Rolla, Missouri was never saluted during any episode of Hee Haw?
You live and you learn, I did not know that despite my parents occasionally watching Hee Haw when I was growing up. We used to watch a lot of Glen Campbell too for some reason.
ReplyDeleteOliver Nelson was a masterful arranger, and earlier one hell of a horn player.
ReplyDeleteI agree about Sonny Rollins....I never "got" him until I heard his live recordings....
But the use of a pop tune was very common back then....and it is almost never done today, which is too bad, considering it often gave the listener some reference point.
Speaking directly about "Alfie", You have to admit that Burt Bacharach was skillful in what he composed.....a great point for Sonny to launch from.