Thursday, April 22, 2010

Who Killed Tina Brooks?

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~chambers/tinabrooks.html

by Jack Chambers.

A great read of an all too familiar story. I have listened to these lost recordings and highly recommend them.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, a great read. If life was fair, Tina Brooks would get the attention that he deserved during his short lifetime. Obviously unheralded to this day, except by the devoted and knowledgeable jazz fans of Japan.
    Any of his recordings that one can listen to will be well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad these recordings weren't released during that time. I think they would have offered an alternate prospective of things going on during that period. They are a definite departure from what Coltrane and Rollins were doing and the fact the he was paired with the same trumpeters, notably Blue Mitchell and Lee Morgan provides an ideal point of comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only guess that he got caught up in the cycle of drugs and frustration, while Blue Note may have seen him as another junkie, although one with talent.
    I can only imagine how it was to be recorded, and with one exception, not have your work released.....getting some up front money....and waiting....as said, "the Waiting Game".

    But for serious listeners of bop.....this material should be required listening.

    ReplyDelete