Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cannoli and Straight Razors.

How do I mesh these two together?

A few months ago while surfing the Bay, not looking for any in particular, I come across a Wade & Butcher straight razor that is in excellent shape for its age (circa 1875) and extremely reasonably priced (I'll omit the price to protect the innocent.) To make the deal sweeter (pun intended), the seller is from the "Rock" (Staten Island) as well.

We finalize the deal and set up the pick-up, the seller James, tells me to meet him at a local bakery, I think nothing of it and head out to the bakery with my daughter. We got there a bit early and while we wait decide to try the cannoli and brownies. Before this, I thought no one beat the cannoli from Fortunato Brothers in the old hood but the cannoli from the Cake Cafe (yes James, the seller, and the Cake Chef are one and the same) are excellent. While most places pre-fill cannoli days in advance resulting in, IMO, a soggy shell, the Cake Chef staff fill cannoli as they are ordered, resulting in cannoli shell that is always crunchy and filling that is always creamy. The brownies are amazing too, according the my resident brownie expert. If you are ever on the "Rock" the Cake Chef is a must try.

2 comments:

  1. A proper cannoli, which is getting hard to find, should be "piped hot"....otherwise the shell gets soft or soggy.

    But don't forget that the filling...which I think should be ricotta, has to be creamy, but not too sweet....a balance needs to happen.

    In Philly,and in Boston, there are only a few spots left that do it right....Congrats on your find....sounds like a place to support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support the cause to the tune of 10 cannoli and two brownies per week. I'm headed there today after work.

    ReplyDelete