Thursday, May 27, 2010

The shoes make the man.

I don't know where this statement originated but examples of its validity are always abundantly available.

On my way to work this morning I sat across a well dressed older gentlemen who was wearing a custom made suit and shirt, tie with the accompanying accessories ( silver cuff links, Tag-Hauer watch) but when I looked down it see the shoes expecting them to put the whole thing together I see what look like a Kenneth Cole rubber soled shoe, something similar to what our mother's forced us to wear to a wedding when we were twelve years old. Not that there is anything wrong with Kenneth Cole or the like but if you're going to spend $1,000 on a suit get a good pair of shoes.

My father, 89 years young, is my prime example. From and since my initial point of cognition, I have never seen my father wear anything other than Florsheim Richfields. I can count on one hand (a very easy feat yielding a lower than usual number) dress shoes I have owned with rubber soles. For lack of a better term, they look cheap, even if you paid $200 dollars for them.

Whether they are wing tip (my personal favorite), split toe, cap toe or oxford, treat yourself to an all-leather, little to no man-made material pair of shoes Gentlemen, you deserve it.

4 comments:

  1. My Dad always told me "you can judge a man by the shoes he wears". I use that as one of my character barometers and truthfully it has not failed me yet. There is nothing sexier than a well dressed man who wears a well made shoe. I should know I married him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mrs. Baya. Willie was a Short Wing wing tip cat himself and they always shined like mirrors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Bays confirms what I have often heard, that women will check out a man's shoes.

    But the problem is where can you even find a good shoe?

    I mean, all this expensive crap out there, that cannot be resoled or reheeled.......or within a month, is shot, because of poor manufacturing practices......where does one find proper shoes, and how much are they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a few good NOS sources for reasonably priced bench-made shoes and E.T. Wright, an American shoe company, make good quality, well priced shoe as well.

    ReplyDelete