Pitorro, Puerto Rican moonshine, runs deep in my family. My grandparents, from both sides, had two things in common, tobacco and moonshine, both produced and consumed them as well. Pitorro is produced by distilling sugar cane with the resulting product being a clear liquor with a high alcohol content, higher than most legal rums produced in Puerto Rico or anywhere else for that matter.
Alcohol products are heavily taxed in Puerto Rico and pitorro does not bring in any revenue to the government. The production and sale of pitorro is heavily penalized by Puerto Rican law, pitorro producers are aggressively pursued by both the Puerto Rican police and the Treasury Department.
Pitorro is cured for several months, even years before drinking. Curing is achieved by adding fruit like coconut, grapes, prunes, even pieces of meat and letting the mixture sit for several months. Some bury the bottles during this process.
I'm working on my second bottle from this past Christmas' catch. This parcha (passion fruit) batch is amazing. I'm trying to save some for my Compay, I guarantee nothing.
Is this more of a rum than a whiskey?
ReplyDeleteI thought due to the sugar cane...
I like your line, "and were consumed by it as well".
Sounds like a unique drink...as it sounds mellow ..unlike USA moonshine..which I have tried..and Irish moonshine...both of which were very harsh and potent.
We classify it a rum, while others because of the process, may not.
ReplyDeletePitorro, when properly processed and cured is very smooth. I have not yet tasted a smooth American moonshine but don't doubt that it exists.
The thing about Pitorro is its unique smell, it's almost as if one could smell it though the bottle.