I had the pleasure of attending a SRP gathering this weekend in Brooklyn. I've been into straight shaving since the age of 17 but never into the honing or restoration side of the equation until recently. Thanks to SRP and B&B, I've restored four straight razors so far with excellent results. Watching the process of honing on video or seeing it illustrated in books does it no justice. Like art, it's a process of feel and intuition. It was cool seeing this art practiced by two gentlemen, Dylan and Ed, of varying ages and approaches to achieve the same goal, a wickedly sharp, shave ready edge. I had the pleasure of meeting Trey, who in addition to being an excellent straight razor restorer, is now making his own line of hand-made strops.
I'm looking forward to the next gathering.
Nelson,
ReplyDeleteThanks for coming to the meet. That is agreat video of you behind Tito Nieves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk04PC73UIE
Yo.
ReplyDeleteNice place here.
Look forward to reading more.
Tim
Thank you Gentlemen.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to a similar meet in the Dallas / Fort Worth area. Don't know of any scheduled. But, they have happened in the past.
ReplyDeleteDallas must have some cool meets considering how strong the straight razor culture is there.
ReplyDelete