
After picking up Master Baya from school, Mrs. Baya and I headed to NJPAC to see and hear Sonny Rollins, one of my musical heros. I have loved Sonny's playing for more than 30 years after my best friend, now Compay, turned me on to him in high school.
Sonny is now 80 years old and I excepted for the years to have taken their toll on this playing, but nothing was further from the case, he still has that fire and emotion that have always marked his playing, his sound and execution are intact.
Sonny said in his closing statement: "There's nothing to worry about. You have nothing to fear. If you can look the man in the mirror in the face, then everything's going to be OK. I'm not afraid of anything." That about says it all, his philosophy in music and life are one in the same.
A pleasure to see the master Sonny Rollins at work. What a wonderful experience and one I will never forget.
ReplyDelete