Thursday, September 22, 2011

Kinmoji カミソリ




My proficiency with the Kamisori has reached the point where I'm getting consistently great shaves. My honing chops are at the level where I don't have to send razors out for honing any longer which is always a good thing.

This Kinmoji is on its way to me as we speak, I really like the traditional white cotton wrapped handle. I can't wait to try it out.

2 comments:

  1. Any advantages of the Kami vs the traditional hinged straight razor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a different animal altogether Larry. If you use it as intended, Ura ( stamped side) up, the shave angle is basically set by the assymmetic grind. Once you accept that you are not going to get a with the grain pass on the opposite side of your face (this pass is substituted by a XTG pass) it works out very well. Check out Jim Rion's video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBDRP6tSOWo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

    While traditional (western) razors are a bit more user-friendly, the Japanese Kamisori shave is excellent once you become comfortable with the process.

    ReplyDelete